Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre‹ Back
Here comes the neighbourhood.
In May 2008, HDR | CEI was selected by the City of Surrey to design a high profile recreation centre, first to be used as a volunteer training facility for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Winter Games, then to be converted to a community centre. The mandate for the project was to create an impactful design that would meet the demands for Surrey recreation facilities related to CPTED, durability and future expansion. Located at the Tom Binnie Park in Surrey City Centre, the project serves a second key purpose: as a catalyst for change in a challenging but developing neighbourhood.
The architectural expression evokes the dynamics of sport through colour, transparency and sweeping shapes. The feature entry is a glass cube with a structure that helps showcase B.C. wood, a theme picked up in other parts of the building as well. An innovative element of the facility is the west wall, which was designed to serve as a blank canvas for digital art to be projected onto its surface. The City operates this “Urban Screen” on a nightly basis, featuring leading edge works of art by B.C. and international artists.
The urban screen and the community centre are providing the community with a safe, accessible place for recreation and social connection, a bright spot in a colourful neighbourhood.
$16,300,000 (three phases)
28,000 sq ft + 18,000 sq ft skate park
- Follows the City of Surrey Sustainability Charter
- Daylighting maximized in the gymnasium, front entry and all public spaces
- Roof stormwater drainage system supplies water features (north and south)
- Low-emissivity roof materials reduce ‘heat-island’ effect
- Overhangs and fritted solar control glazing on east and west applied to control solar heat gain
- Mechanically operated louvers in the front-entry glass cube generate passive cooling through a stack effect
May 30, 2011
Best Recreation Facility, 2011
Fraser Valley Real Estate Board Commercial Building Awards
Community Leader Award, 2010
Wood WORKS! BC, Canadian Wood Council
Outstanding Architectural Project, 2009
American Shotcrete Association
“The Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre is a beautiful architectural landmark in our City Centre.”
Former Mayor, City of Surrey
City of Surrey
Recreation & Community