40-Storey Wood Office Tower‹ Back
The office building of the future.
The NAIOP competition for “An Office Building of the Future” provides CEI Architecture and our partners with an opportunity to explore the issues of constructing a tall office building from wood. Our submission attempts to address the issues of creating effective and attractive working environments that are appealing to a broad cross section of the working public. We believe that a tall 40-storey office building constructed from wood provides opportunities to be uniquely iconic, instantly recognizable and attractive for potential tenants. Our submission defines 40 storeys of flexible, warm and appealing space.
In our desire to define an innovative solution to the issues of an office building of the future, we also believe that any study that provides innovation in a specific building type must also include sustainable strategies that provide solutions to limit greenhouse gas emissions. As the effects of global warming become more and more evident, other methods of construction need to be explored by architects and engineers that provide real alternatives to the traditional methods of construction. One such option is to maximize the use of wood throughout the built environment.
Our team for the NAIOP Office Building of the Future submission included Nick Bevanda, Tim McLennan, Robert Parlane and Robert Cesnik from CEI Architecture, and Read Jones Christoffersen Consulting Engineers, Rocky Point Engineering, 2020 Engineering and SSA Quantity Surveyors Ltd.
730,000 sq ft
- Maximizing the use of wood sequesters over 10,000 tons of carbon dioxide
- Water-efficient systems reduce the project’s demand on potable water and convert black and grey water for toilets and irrigation
- Optimized mechanical and electrical systems would generate over 50% of the building’s energy
- Construction materials and finishes with high recycled content
- Natural ventilation enhances indoor air quality
- Daylight is maximized by 30-foot core-to-glass dimension
Jun 24, 2013
Apr 18, 2013
Dec 14, 2012
Honorable Mention, Office Building of the Future, 2012
NAIOP, Commercial Real Estate Development Association
NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association
Vancouver, B.C. (proposed)
Office & Commercial